April 23, 2021

Published April 23, 2021 by

Eclipse JGit : Basic authentication using a password to Git is deprecated and will soon no longer work

 I have recently received an email from GitHub saying :

You recently used a password to access the repository at [my GitHub repo] with git using JGit/5.3.0.201903130848-r.

Basic authentication using a password to Git is deprecated and will soon no longer work. Visit https://github.blog/2020-12-15-token-authentication-requirements-for-git-operations/ for more information around suggested workarounds and removal dates.

I got this because I allowed JGit plugin of Eclipse to access my GitHub repo using password. To resolve this I need to configure Eclipse JGit to use token instead of password.

Here how it is done.

1) Go to New personal access token (github.com) and generate a new token with required scopes.





2) In Eclipse | [Your Project] go to Repositories View




3) Go to Remotes | Origin | Right click on the URL | Change Credentials



Now set the token instead of password in the password field.

That's all.